1. Nature! Costa Rica has a very rich offering of biodiversity with several national parks featuring native and unique creatures and habitats such as beaches, jungles and cloud forests. One of our favorite experiences was a night walk with lots of very loud frogs. Our guide could “converse” with one of them!
2. Ease of travel! From several USA gateway cities with direct flights and two major airports, Costa Rica is an easy 4-hour flight with only a one or two hour time zone change depending on Daylight Saving Time.
3. Adventure! Costa Rica offers some high adrenaline fun with zip lining, high ropes courses, canyoneering, mountain biking, white water rafting, and waterfall rappelling.
4. Chocolate! Kids love seeing the origins of chocolate, holding the unusual fruit at a cocoa plantation, discovering the beans inside and seeing the roasting process. Of course, the tasting part is enjoyed by all!
5. Monkeys! My kids were easily entertained watching the monkeys playing in the trees right outside our hotel room.
6. Food! Fresh tropical fruits in abundance plus local vegetables, and lots of rice and beans offer new flavors and make for delicious meals all day.
7. Ticos! The Costa Rican people who call themselves “Ticos” are among the most friendly and welcoming that I have met in my travels. They are honest and trustworthy, and you’ll never feel hassled. Their hospitality is wonderful.
8. Surfing! There are great beaches all along the Pacific Coast with some legendary breaks for expert surfers and gentle spots perfect for beginners.
9. Volcanos! They may not be erupting, but they are active so the possibility is there! A recent eruption grounded flights–a good excuse for missing an extra day or two of school.
10. Views! Choose a hotel, private villa, or a resort villa, and with the lovely coastal hills and valleys you will enjoy a beautiful views and sunsets wherever you stay.